Can I tell you a little secret? Growing up I used to love to have family Barbecues, but there was one dish that you would NEVER see me eating, Coleslaw!
I’m not sure what it was about coleslaw but it’s general appearance and flavor just never felt right to me! BUT from time to time someone would whip up what they called “Asian Coleslaw” which consisted of so much great stuff, but it’s definitely not vegan or health friendly! It was SOOOO good!
I decided that I needed to create a vegan friendly and healthy version of it! After wracking my brain for a while and brainstorming some ideas, I came up with Tahini Coleslaw.
It in a few words, it’s salty, savory, light, and just delicious! The mix of tahini and soy sauce gives its a great flavor and after you let it marinade in the fridge in the fridge for a few hours, the end product is just to die for!
I hope that you can squeeze this in to one barbecue before the end of the season!
- 3-4 Cups, Shredded Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- ¼ Cup Slivered Almonds
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup
- Place the cabbage, carrots, and almonds into a large bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small dish whisk together the remaining ingredients until well combined to create a dressing.
- Pour the the sauce over the coleslaw mixture and toss well to combine.
- Cover the large bowl and let the coleslaw sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour to absorb the flavors. Toss throughout that time to help the flavors distribute.
- Serve up as a side to a nice summer sandwich and Enjoy!
If you're feeling up to it, double the sauce and mix in vegan friendly Ramen noodles to give it some extra crunch!
Do you like making vegan BBQ side dishes?
What’s your favorite side dish at a BBQ?