That’s a Wrap!
Okay…well wait maybe I should give you the recipe first, right? So this week I just kept thinking, man southwest style anything just sound so dang delicious!
I remembered how much I used to love “southwest style” anything back before my vegan days. So I got to thinking, what could I do to satiate my need for a wonderful southwest style dish without loading it up with bad foods?
I decided I could keep it simple with a delicious romaine lettuce wrap, an old recipe for buffalo style ranch, mushrooms, and some peppers and onion. Add in some taco seasoning zing and you’ve got a delicious southwest vegan snack attack on your hands!
I’m not sure if you’ve tried my Vegan Buffalo Dip but it has been very well received! I decided that it had the right zest to it, and it needed to be added to this dish, and boy did it make it some next level flavor!
Now this wrap does use portobello mushrooms which get SO juicy when you cook them, so be aware that it’s going to get messy! But I guarantee the mess of this so worth the taste.
It’s tangy, rich, and the texture is out of this world!
Let’s talk photos for a second! I’m not a HUGE fan of how these photos turned out BUT I promised you guys that I would put up two recipes this week and I am a man of my word! So just give this recipe a chance even if you aren’t blown away by the pictures, it’s definitely in my top 10 recipes for taste right now!
- 1 Container of Veggie Broth
- Romain Lettuce for Wrapping
- 8 oz Portobello Mushroom "Strips"
- 1 Green Pepper, Cut into Strips
- 1 Vidalia Onion, Cut into Strips
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning of Choice
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- ¼ Cup Vegan Buffalo Ranch (Without the Jackfruit)
- Place the mushroom strips in a deep bowl. Add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar, then pour over vegetable broth to cover. Reserve at least ½ Cup.
- Allow the mushrooms to marinate for 2 hours or more.
- Throw the peppers and onions in a pan with with some veggie broth and cook on medium-high heat until the onions are translucent (5-10 minutes). Add more veggie broth as needed.
- Once the onions and peppers are at your desired level of tenderness, add the taco seasoning and a little bit of veggie broth to create a taco style sauce.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, put the mushrooms and some of the marinade in a pan and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium high heat. Get them nice and piping hot!
- Once everything is cooked, layout a few pieces of lettuce for the wraps, put on the mushrooms, then peppers and onions, and top with about 1 Tbsp of the Buffalo Ranch Sauce!
- Grab some napkins and Enjoy!
Use whole portobello caps instead of strips, and compile it into a delicious burger!
Do you guys like southwest style dishes?
What’s your favorite southwest vegan dish?