With winter in full swing – it’s DEFINITELY soup weather, am I right?
Though, let’s be honest I’ve been working on soup recipes for the last month or so! And this isn’t the first “cheesy” soup that I’ve made either! I made Cheesy Broccoli Soup (which was vegan of course) just a few weeks ago! I will say that since making that I stepped up my food photography game too!
I finally bought a food photography course that I’ve had my eye on for a few weeks now – and even though I’m only about 2-4% of the way through it I’ve pulled out TONS of little nuggets of info that allowed me to capture these shots! I’m definitely proud of these ones haha. But anyway, enough about the pictures let’s talk about the food!
When I first made this – I melted into how amazing it was! Hot, savory, just a touch of sweet maple bacon flavor, what’s not to love? I will say that it turns out VERY rich. I’m not sure if I could have more then one bowl, and yet I couldn’t stop dreaming about it all day!
We all know that a good creamy vegan soup is the winter is basically heaven on earth, but when you add in some cheesy flavor, tempeh bacon, and green onion…let’s just say it irresistible!
Bonus: I’ve been dying to create a loaded baked potato soup for AGES and then I realized that I could use the potatoes themselves to thicken the soup – so not only is it a totally vegan recipe, since it’s thickened by starch it’s also pretty low fat!
I had my first Master’s Program class yesterday – so I’m feeling a little “tired” – therefore I’m not going to say much else today haha! The food and the photos speaks for themselves today (or at least I like to think!) – so dig in and enjoy!
- 5 Potatoes, Peeled and Chopped
- 1½ Cups Non-Dairy Milk
- 2 Stalks of Celery, Chopped
- 3 Green Onions, Thinly Chopped
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 6 oz Tempeh, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1½ Cups Non-Dairy Milk
- ¾ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- Place all the Potato Soup Base ingredients except for the green onion into a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the potato soup is simmering, place all the ingredients for the Tempeh Bacon Bits into a pan. Cook over medium heath until all the liquid is gone. (It will reduce and be coated on the tempeh.) Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are done simmering, place all the Cheesy Mix ingredients into a blender, then add about 2-3 Cups of potatoes from the potato base mix (in the pot). Blend until smooth.
- Pour the cheesy mixture back into your pot, add in the tempeh bacon bits and the green onions. Simmer on low for 5 minutes. If you want to lower the "intensity" of the flavor or want to thin the soup, add additional non-dairy milk here!
- Garnish with some green onion and enjoy!
This is a VERY RICH soup - if it's too rich for you, thin it out with some extra non-dairy milk!
The more potatoes you add to the blender in step 3, the thicker the "broth" will be.
Do you like to eat soups in the winter time?
What’s your favorite vegan winter comfort food?