Okay guys I’m finally back in the swing of things! I’ve just been so busy with birthdays, work, mostly boring stuff that isn’t nearly as exciting as the food that I post, haha! Last week I was dying for some mac and cheese – veganized of course – but I didn’t want to make my same old recipe!
I remembered months ago how often I used to use my crockpot for, well everything! I decided it was time to get back to that and my a savory mac and cheese filled all my needs for comfort food with the convinces of a one pot meal! You are going to have to get the blender a little dirty, and soak some cashews! BUT after everything is ready, it’s a 5-10 minute prep and you can sit back and relax!
I would even suggest that you soak the cashews and measure out the spices the night before, that way you can just throw everything together the next day and enjoy! The final product is a fluffy, velvety, almost southern style mac and cheese! It’s no the typical mac and cheese that you think of – but I couldn’t help myself from going back for seconds, so it’s pretty good!
Also, pictures are still a big work in progress for me! I’m working on learning my camera and even taking a food photography class! But for the mac and cheese I got home to take pictures RIGHT at sunset so I had to rush to get everything into bowls and take pictures! I’m looking into an artificial light system soon, so expect pictures that turn out great 24/7 in the next few weeks! For now I hope the one good picture I was able to captures do this dish justice, haha!
If you’re craving a simple mac and cheese, this dish will hit the spot! I especially love that it came out a mac and cheese color, something I haven’t been able to achieve up to this point! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! It’s creamy, and fluffy and so delicious! A small bow will take all your troubles away!
- 6 oz Whole Wheat Pasta
- 1 Cup of Cashews Soaked 6-8 hours, overnight is fine too!
- ¼ Cup Reserved Soaking Liquid
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes, Drained (14.5 oz)
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs, then some extra to sprinkle on top!
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2-3 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 2 tsp Arrow Root Flour (Or Cornstarch)
- 2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, then put the pasta in for 3-5 minutes, you want it to be very al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking put everything but the breadcrumbs and tomatoes into a high powder blender and blend until its VERY smooth. If you're not sure if it's done, dip your finger in and rub the sauce between your thumb and finger. If it feels gritty keep blending!
- Drain the pasta and run it under cool water to stop the cooking process.
- Put the pasta, sauce from the blender, Tomatoes, and breadcrumbs into a Crockpot and mix well.
- Put the Crockpot on low and cook for 4-6 hours. Make sure to mix it at least once our twice while it cooks! If you can't mix it, that's okay - but you may get a couple crunch or burnt spots! I personally love those little crunchy spots, but some people don't!
- Take out the mac and cheese, place in bowls and top with some bread crumbs!
-You don't have to make this in the Crockpot! Cook the pasta all the way through, then cook the sauce over medium heat till it thickens with the tomatoes and combine! Then just top with the breadcrumbs!
-You could also make this as a mac and cheese bake! Again cook the noodles longer, closer to 6-8 minutes, if you do a bake, then just combine everything in a casserole dish and bake in the oven! Make sure to sprinkle with some yummy breadcrumbs!
P.S. I’ve been getting overwhelming support on this site and I’m so thankful to all of you! I seriously can’t express in words the gratitude I’ve been feeling this past month – so thank you! Since this site is about making food YOU love, let me know what else you would like to see, I want to help you fulfill all of your vegan needs!