Yesterday was the first day of December, and boy oh boy is it cold in Ohio! When it get’s cold there are two big things that I want – naps and soup! Since I’m still working on graduating at the end of the month I don’t have much time for naps! However, I do have plenty of time to make some soup!
Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I got to catch up with a friend at Panera Bread. As I was looking at their soup selection I noticed their Broccoli and Cheese soup – which used to be an old favorite of mine! I made a mental note, and then yesterday I got to work on making a healthier and more vegan version of it!
When I wrote out this recipe I thought it was going to take a lot of work, but it ended up being so simple! See I’ve been staying up light working on the site and/or binge watching Netflix – did you know how many obscure and crazy movies there are out there? I love horror movies and Netflix ALWAYS delivers on that front! Anyways, I was able to make this Vegan Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup, then sit down and enjoy a nice obscure movie all on a Monday night, so yeah it’s pretty simple!
Side Note: I’ve been reading some food blogs and I’m working on my banter – so I hope you don’t mind haha! I’m not sure about you but it’s kind of boring if I go to a site and it’s just like, “Here’s some food!” I want a little entertainment – so hopefully I’m doing a good job entraining you with my feelings on obscure horror movies
What I really love about my vegan version of Panera’s famous dish is that it’s relatively low-fat and it has way less fat and calories then the dish from Panera! PLUS it’s packed with B12 from the nutritional yeast, and the broccoli gives it a little punch of protein to help keep you full! Pour this stuff over a baked potato, and you’ve got a delicious, filling, and simple meal!
Because this meal was so amazingly guilt free, I decided to throw in a beer with dinner! I’m a craft beer kind of guy, so when I realized that the seasonal Sam Adams Winter Lager (which is totally vegan of course) was out, I had to grab one to enjoy with dinner!
Oh and bonus – this is a ONE POT MEAL! You only have to dirty one pot and your blender to make this tasty treat! Now enough banter, bring on the cheesy soupy goodness!
- 3-4 Cups Broccoli Florets (2-3 Heads/Crowns)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ Cup Onion, Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, Finley Chopped
- 2 Cups Almond Milk
- 1 Can (15 oz) Lite Coconut Milk
- ¾ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ Cup Arrowroot Powder (or Cornstarch)
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Powder
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1½ tsp Paprika
- 1½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- In a large pot, sauté the garlic, onion, and celery in just a bit of water until the onion is translucent.
- While the veggies are sautéing, place the remaining ingredients - except the broccoli - into a blender and blend to combine until you end up with a smooth soup base.
- Once the sautéd veggies are ready, pour the soup base and the broccoli florets into the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium heat while stirring.
- Cook the soup over medium heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes until the broccoli has reached your desired level of tenderness.
- Allow it to cool just a bit - as it cools it will thicken up a little more.
- Serve with a side of toasted bread or a baked potato and enjoy!
Feel free to double or triple this recipe in a dutch oven - it will work in large batches and freeze well so that you can enjoy it anytime!
If you want a heartier soup, chop up and pre-cook some potatoes, then add them in during the last minute of cooking!
Do you like when I veganize popular resturant items?
If so, what other fan favorites would you like see on the blog?