HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Can you believe it’s already 2015 – where did 2014 go? It was an AMAZING year for The No Fuss Vegan. I had lots of highs, a few lows, but throughout it all I’ve become a happier person immersed in my passion with a community of amazing people – thanks for being here on the ride with me
Well this year I made a “vegan-y” resolution to try and get some more greens in my life! I’ve been making so many elaborate dishes, but I haven’t been including enough greens in my diet – so today I’m going to START the new year with a recipe that includes a nice sized serving of greens!
The other day I was thinking about pasta salad and BLTs, I have a mind that wanders haha! I suddenly thought, what if I made a vegan cross-breed of these two amazing dishes! Thus, BLT pasta salad was born!
Now, you can’t just throw two things together and say that it tastes great – so I got creative with my recipe! I used sun dried tomatoes, my own recipe for tempeh bacon, and kale instead of traditional lettuce! It’s a protein, calcium, and antioxidant powerhouse – so yeah it’s pretty awesome!
A good pasta salad also need a sauce – so I created a simple vegan “ranch” sauce that you can add if you want! However, it’s totally optional, but let’s be honest vegan bacon and ranch is probably the most amazing combo…. did I mention this recipe is pretty healthy too!?!?
Okay I think I’ve doted on this recipe, so here it is! Enjoy!
- 6 oz Penne or Rotini Pasta
- 3-4 Cups Roughly Chopped Greens
- ⅓-1/2 Cup Dried Tomatoes, Thinly Sliced
- 6 oz Tempeh, Cut into Small Cubes
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- ⅓ Cup Cashews, Soaked
- 2 Tbsp Non Dairy Milk
- ¼ tsp Dill Weed
- ¼ tsp Celery Salt
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- A Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- Place all the ingredients for the Tempeh Bacon in a small container and let them sit in the fridge to marinate for about 1 hour, be sure to "shake up" the container a couple times during the hour.
- Once the tempeh is done marinating, cook the 6 oz of penne noodles, while you are doing this we will create the rest of the dish. (Drain when the are done and set aside)
- Heat a large pan up. Once it's warm throw in 2 Tbsp of water, your Tempeh bacon (including the remaining marinade), and the chopped greens.
- Cook the mixture until the greens are wilted and tender, be sure to mix well to coat the greens with the sauce.
- While the greens are cooking, put all the cashew sauce ingredients in a blender and blend into a smooth sauce.
- Place pasta, the bacon & greens, the sun dried tomatoes, and the cashew cream sauce in a large bowl. Toss until well combined!
Don't be afraid to play with different types of pasta, make this dish your own!
If you use kale as your green like I did, make sure to massage it first! That makes it a bit more tender and much less bitter.
What other “classic” dishes would you love to see healthy veganized?
Will you enjoy this as a side dish or a main course?