Okay so quick disclosure this week – WHAT A WEEK! So many changes going on in my life, I’m not happy that this post isn’t going up earlier in the week, BUT it is going up and that counts for something right? Don’t worry folks, I haven’t stop creating delicious food for you all to enjoy!
Another thing I want to share, I’m still learning about light sources and food photography, so this weeks photos do look a a bit “washed out” because I used the wrong light sources – who knew you could even do that! So when I post my next recipe this week I’ll be sure to get some nice lighting and some pretty shots so you can enjoy them even more! Now, on to the FOOD!
Very rarely do I find myself missing meat or meat products! But in recent weeks I’ve been dying to get my hands on something with smoky flavor that I could only get from bacon and BBQ! I decided to combine two things that I used to LOVE, Chinese food and bacon – create my own Vegan Bacon Fried Rice! I decided not to reinvent the wheel on the bacon front and used this awesome recipe from The Simple Veganista! Her recipe uses only 5 ingredients and it’s so yummy!
Check out the way these awesome little bacon bits turn out! YUM!
This rice gave me that dense and fulfilling feeling that my fried rice had been missing, yet it doesn’t leave you feeling heavy! The rice doesn’t have an overly smoky flavor – I thought that would be wired – but in the ideas and enhancement section under the recipe I give you ways to REALLY bring out the Smokey flavor if that’s what you want!
There is nothing insane or crazy about the fried rice, but I use to special ingredients to really emulate the bacon flavor! Maple syrup, and sesame oil! The sesame oil gives it a very rich and complex flavor, while the maple syrup brings out the sweetness of the bacon, can you say MORE PLEASE? Overall the dish came out delicious and very comparable to the fried rice you get at restaurants – but with Whole Food Plant Based Ingredients, win-win in my book!
Vegan “Bacon” Fried Rice
- 1 ½ - 2 Cups Brown Rice (1 Cup Uncooked)
- ½ Cup Chopped Onion
- ½ Cup Peas
- ½ Cup Chopped Carrots
- ⅓ Cup, Vegan Bacon (Click Here for the Recipe)
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- Sauté carrots, onions and garlic in a large pan over medium heat until the garlic and carrots are both tender,
- Add 1 Tbsp. of Soy, the Sesame Oil and the Maple Syrup to the pan and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Bacon, Peas and Rice to the pan and fold it all together. Let it cook until everything is hot!
- Finally mix in the final 2 Tbsp. of soy sauce!
- Serve warm, and additional soy sauce if you wish and enjoy!
- If you’re looking to bring that smoky flavor into your fried rice, add 1 Tbsp. of Liquid Smoke in Step 2.
- If you don’t want to spend time chopping vegetables, you could simple sauté frozen stir fry veggies and add the other ingredients!
- Use a food processor to speed up the process of chopping veggies, just be sure to pulse and not puree the veggies!
More Pictures for your Viewing and Pinning Pleasure! I want to reach as many people as possible with these awesome vegan foods – so if you like them please feel free to pin them to your vegan Pinterest boards!