I know that part of the reason I am vegan is for health reasons, and one of the worst things out there has got to be Chinese takeout, from a health perspective but sometimes you just want to enjoy life a little! However, Chinese takeout is ridiculously high in calories, fat, sodium – and you can never be sure that it’s vegan friendly!
After being a bit worried about trying out a Chinese takeout inspired dish, I decided it was time to stop overthinking and jump right in! In my opinion, one of the best dishes on any good takeout menu is orange chicken. I decided that making a vegan counterpart couldn’t be that hard to make, so I went for it!
This recipe is great because it acts like a perfect marinade, turns into the perfect sauce, and then becomes a complete and wonderful dish! I was actually so confident once I formulated the recipe that I doubled up on the “sauce” so that I could save some in the fridge to enjoy later – it was a great choice! I’ve been using the extra sauce on rice, tofu, even fresh veggies!
If you’ve been following the blog you’ll notice that these are some pretty awesome pics, maybe the best so far if I do say so myself! I’ve been working hard with my camera and my make-shift studio to start getting some wonderful pictures. Hey, maybe I’ll be in a fancy vegan magazine one day – I can dream right!?!
As always, I hope you enjoy the pictures AND the food!
- 4 oz Soba noodles
- 8 oz Tempeh
- ½ Cup Vegetable Broth
- ¼ Cup Orange Juice
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 tsp Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch + 2 Tbsp Water
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Celery salt
- Optional Garnish: Green Onions & Sesame Seeds
- In a medium bowl combine all the sauce ingredients except the arrow root powder and whisk together well.
- Cut the tempeh into 20-24 small pieces, about equal size, and place them into the sauce. Place that in the fridge to marinate for about 2 hours. Feel free to marinate the tempeh even longer if you'd like! After you're done marinating - continue to the next steps.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- This next part requires some multitasking, so read through the recipe first:
- Place the soba noodles in a pot of boiling water too cook.
- At the same time, place the sauce without the tempeh into a small sauce pan (reserving ¼ cup for the next step), and mix the arrowroot dissolved in water. Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until thickened.
- While you are cooking the noodles and making the sauce, take ¼ cup of the marinade, toss with the marinaded tempeh - cook for about 4-7 minutes until nice and hot!
- Drain the soba noodles and run under cool water to stop the cooking.
- Per serving, layer ½ the noodles onto a dish then add ½ of the cooked tempeh, and top with your desired amount of orange sauce
- Optional: Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds - this makes the pictures pretty!
- Sit back, relax, and Enjoy!
Not of a fan of tempeh? Try with some tofu and see how it turns out!
Add some steamed vegetables like broccoli, water crest, and snap peas for an even more filling dish!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe – if so comment below so I can hear your thoughts! Are you going to be making this one soon?