This weekend was amazing, I went to Cleveland VegFest and it was so much fun! I got to eat everything from chocolate covered cookie dough to loaded vegan nachos! It definitely wasn’t the healthiest weekend, but it stirred up some old feelings in me, I finally remembered how much I LOVE to cook and bake! After watching a Demo with Terry Hope Romero and getting an autographed copy of her book, I decided it’s time to start sharing more of my vegan creations!
Terry Hope is the co-author of the best-selling vegan cookbook The Veganomicon with one of my other favorite vegan cooks Isa Chandra Moskowitz who runs the Post Punk Kitchen! To say that Terry Hope Romero was a down to earth and wildly entertaining cook would be an understatement! This women us laughing, oohing, and ahhhing during her entire demo! And when she pulled out the vegan BBQ chips, she called me out for being a little overzealous about my excitement LOL!
After she spoke I grabbed a copy of Viva Vegan! – Terry Hope’s Latin American Cookbook – got it signed, and have been head down in the book for the past 2 days! I’m doing some serious planning, because if you don’t know, I’m a Mexican Food Addict! I just can’t get enough of a good mexican food, plus Terry Hope PROVES that you don’t need dairy cheese and sour cream to making a mouthwatering Latin dish!
Terry Hope was just one of the MANY amazing speakers that I heard, but she sparked something in me that made me really excited! I’ve always loved cooking but when I went Vegan for health rasons, and even before that when I started trying to be healthier, I stopped enjoying cooking as much. It felt like less of an adventure. As Terry put it, I was TIRED OF SALAD – so I let my love of cooking take a back seat!
WELL NOW I have a platform where I can share my recipes, my struggles, and my ideas with YOU and get real time feedback! So, let’s jump right in to my FIRST vegan recipe I created from Scratch!
I love this soup because it’s so simple to make, and most of the time it just spend simmering not the stove so you can catch up on your favorite TV shows, read a book, or plan out your next Vegan Creation! Plus the Salsa and the Tabasco sauce combine so beautifully in the dish to create the perfect blend of spicy and savory!
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- ½ – 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Veggie Bullion Cube
- 2 Cups Boiling Water
- 1½ Cups Corn (About 2 Ears if You Use Fresh Corn)
- 1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Cup Chopped Bell Peper, About 1 Pepper
- ⅔ Cup Salsa
- 6-8 “Shakes” Smoked Tabasco Sauce
- 1 Tbps Corn Starch + 2 Tbsp Water
- Mince the garlic and chop the onion, then throw them in a pan the some olive oil and let them cook together over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent – about 5 mins.
- While you are cooking the garlic and onions, mix the veggie bullion with 2 cups of boiling water to create a veggie broth.
- Once the garlic and onions are done add the corn, black beans, carrots, pepper, salsa, Tabasco Sauce and veggie broth. Reduce the heat to a low temperature and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- We are going to use the corn starch to thicken the soup slightly, so mix the corn starch and the 2 Tbsp. of water together before you add them to the soup. This helps prevent clumping in the soup. Mix the corn starch in well and them simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the soup warm with tortilla strips on top (I ate all mine before I could remember to take a picture haha)!
Let me know what you think of this recipe AND if there are any recipes or ideas you would like me to try!
Spoiler Alert: I’ll be making whole food, healthy vegan nachos this week so be prepared for that!