Wow, what a week and weekend! There’s been a lot of changes in my life creating a lot of stress, lucky for you all when I get stressed I cook and create! So I created a few new recipes last week that I’m working on tweaking, perfecting, and improving so that you can enjoy them!
This weekend I spent about 24 hours sitting in a live workshop becoming a personal trainer! I didn’t think it was going to be nearly as intense as it was, and it was a pretty big mental drain! That is why I took me a little while to get a recipe up this week, so if you were waiting on me – I’m so sorry about that! But I’ve been thinking quality is ALWAYS better than quantity right? I think you guys want one tasty recipe over three crappy ones right? GOOD!
A couple of weeks ago I turned 21, so I have been enjoying a beer with dinner! Since I’ve done that I couple of times the gears in my mind have been spinning! I was thinking about how I would kill for some yummy – yet healthy – vegan bar food. Hey I can be a healthy vegan and enjoy a couple dark microbrews and bar food – deal with it haha!
After thinking for a while – I decided that I wanted to create a variation of Buffalo Wings but give it a real twist, as if vegan buffalo wings were a twist enough! After thinking about what I used to love about wings, I determined I needed good flavor, great batter/breading, and “poppablity.”
Poppability – being able to just pop ‘em in your mouth and enjoy ‘em!
I finally came up with the idea for cauliflower wings – a common vegan creation – but instead of just dipping them in batter I decided to give them a zingy taco flavoring and give them a crispy outer breading! So without further ado, I give you Cauliflower Taco Poppers!
Cauliflower Taco Bites
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, Cut into Bite Site Florets
- ½ Cup Your Choices of Flour, Oat Flour is a Good Choice
- 1 cup Almond Milk or Non-Dairy Milk
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax
- ¾ – 1 Cup Vegan Bread Crumbs, Homemade or Accidentally Vegan
- 4-5 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- Optional: Smokey Tabasco Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix the milk and flax seeds and allow them to site for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- While the milk is thicken mix the flour and 2 Tbsp of Taco Seasoning together and place it on a small plate.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning and spread onto a small plate.
- Once the milk is set you are going to start the coating process. First dip and coat the florets in the milk – one at a time, sorry it’s bit of a process – and then roll them in the flour mixture.
- Once they have a flour coating on them carefully dip them back in the milk to moisten the flower, then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the florets on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper, or a baking dish with alight spray of coconut or olive oil. (The baking sheet is a little messier, but results in a more even browning)
- Bake in the oven fro 35-40 minutes, until the inside is soft and the outside is brown an crispy! Take out one floret and taste test before you turn of the oven!
- OPTIONAL: pour/shake some Tabasco sauce over the taco bites and let them cook for 5 more minutes, just to let the sauce thicken and bake on the bites.
- Serve with a side of your favorite salsa and some organic tortilla chips!
Tips and Ideas:
- If you’re feeling a little “unhealthy” you could definitely fry these up in some oil – would make them more “authentic” bar food!
- Play around with other seasonings for the poppers, think about using vegan ranch dressing seasoning!
And here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure – please feel free to pin them and save them for later! I’m getting better with a camera no?